Tuesday, January 26, 2016

That's really why...

They ruined the Uno's Pizza commercial because people were offended by the Italian accent.

That's really why they overdubbed it with the creepy weird voice that turned it from one of the very few "must watch commercials no matter how many times they play it" to an ear-injuring assault prompting the immediate channing of the channel.

Unbelievably funny. Was it here that I mentioned the "racial insensitivies" displayed in the casting, and that directing students should make additional versions? splicing in various politically correct faces in order to diversify the purely-scandinavian cast?

Never in my wildest dreams did I think people would be offended by the accent. Never.

But many people are.

Lots. Like not just 1 or 2.

I can't be certain, but I think my late 100%, second generation Italian American stepfather from East Boston circa 1920's and 30's would have had a field day recreating the words from the ad in exactly the same sort of exaggerated accent as was in the original version.

Because he was fun.

But like I said, I can't be certain because he's gone now.

Thank goodness for the insatiable curiosity of the Zolak for getting to the bottom of it.

https://twitter.com/scottzolak/status/689074385836183552



No comments:

Post a Comment