Saturday, April 20, 2013

I have a hard time understanding why

the public safety wasn't best served by releasing all applicable video around the bomb scene as soon as possible, even if you had to block out some of the victims.

I'm a little annoyed at the desire of certain government actors to appropriate responsibility for the resolution of the situation specifically to "professionals". I'm inclined to want to toss a "fuck you" the way of anyone who takes such an approach.

Might we have saved another life by immediately publicly releasing the video showing the placing of the bombs and the reaction of the bombers? Rather than keeping that video accessible only to those "professionals"?

I think we might have.

I sure do.

Update: Plus, of course, he wasn't found until people were free to go about their lives again, essentially leveraging the eyeballs of millions of "non-professionals", which directly resulted in finding him. I didn't take issue with the decision to shut the city down, and I give credit for the realization that such an approach could not continue for more than a day. I think they are defensible decisions, and I think you could even argue that the lack of targets plus the extended, exhausting time period may have also saved lives. But you could also argue that he'd have been caught more quickly without such a heavy-handed approach, and when I see people excluding this possibility in favor of promoting their own broader philosophical agenda (government "professionals" good, civilians bad), I get pretty fucking annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment