Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tailgaters Beware

I am a good driver. I obey the rules of the road. Most do not. I tend to drive in an appropriate lane on the highway. Most do not. I encourage others to move right when it is safe to do so. But I NEVER, EVER, EVER tailgate.

Tailgaters are always the worst, dumbest people on the road. They are narcissists who believe that it's up to you to adjust your driving style because they couldn't leave early enough to obey the law and get to their destination on time. My response to a tailgater is to slow down. The closer they get, the slower I go. Not by hitting the brakes, of course, but simply by taking my foot off the accelerator, causing a nice, gradual, maddening-for-the-tailgater decrease in speed that is noticeable, but not dangerous. This is the correct response to a tailgater. If one keeps a distance and flashes lights or gives a quick beep, I'm likely to change lanes as soon as it is safe to do so. But if they tailgate? Nope.

I leave early enough, so I am not in a rush. It's not my job to drive fast enough for your liking. I don't care about you. I don't owe you anything, except the opportunity to follow the law and drive safely without me putting you in danger - an opportunity you are denying me by tailgating.

Tailgating is dangerous, whether it's done by a civilian or a police officer. It is ILLEGAL, and in this case, for a reason. I'm a better driver than you. That is almost certain no matter who you are. Learn how to plan your time better, learn how to recognize that you are no more important than anyone else on the road. Learn how to "see" the big picture, rather than being that idiot who changes lanes maniacally in rush hour traffic, saving yourself a total of about 30 seconds in your drive, while making yourself look completely ridiculous, and bothering everyone around you (by cutting them off) unnecessarily in the process. Learn how to use a turn signal. Learn how to drive. Most of you who want people to drive faster, and are willing to tailgate to force the issue, are complete morons and are hiding behind your lifted truck with oversized wheels.  You ooze stupidity, and it's not my job to alter my lawful actions to suit you.

The funniest thing is watching a tailgater over a period of time. They close quickly whenever there is space between them and the car in front of them. They simply aren't capable of behaving in an appropriate way on the road. Too bad for them. I'm not moving.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment